WP Htaccess Editor provides a simple, safe & fast way to edit, fix & test the site’s htaccess file from WP admin. Before saving, htaccess file can be tested for syntax errors. It also automatically creates a htaccess backup every time you make a change to the htaccess file. Htaccess backups can be restored directly from the plugin, or via FTP if the errors in htaccess file prevents WP from running normally. Great for fixing htaccess errors. For all questions, including support please use the official forum.
Access WP Htaccess Editor via WP Admin – Settings menu.
If you’re having problems with SSL or HTTPS try our free WP Force SSL plugin. It’s the easiest way to enable SSL and fix SSL problems.
Testing Htaccess Syntax
Use the “test before saving” button to test htaccess file syntax before saving. Please note that this test does not check the logic of your htaccess file, ie if the redirects work as intended. It only checks for syntax errors. If you need to fix htaccess file we suggest restoring it to the default version and then add custom code line by line.
Automatic Htaccess Backups
Htaccess Editor makes automatic backups of htaccess file every time you make a change to it. Backups are located in
/wp-content/htaccess-editor-backups/ and timestamped so you can easily find the latest htaccess backup and restore it.
WordPress Network (WPMU) Support
WP Htaccess Editor is fully compatible and tested with WP Network (WPMU). It shows up under the Settings menu in network admin. It’s not available in individual sites as there is only one htaccess file per network.
The plugin was originally developed by Lukenzi in March of 2011.
We are not lawyers. Please do not take any of the following as legal advice.
WP Htaccess Editor does not track, collect or process any user data. Nothing is logged or pushed to any 3rd parties nor do we use any 3rd party services or CDNs. Based on that, we feel it’s GDPR compatible, but again, please, don’t take this as legal advice.
Follow the usual routine;
- Open WordPress admin, go to Plugins, click Add New
- Enter “htaccess editor” in search and hit Enter
- Plugin will show up as the first on the list, click “Install Now”
- Activate & open plugin’s settings page located under the Settings menu
Or if needed, upload manually;
- Download the latest stable version from from downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/wp-htaccess-editor.latest-stable.zip
- Unzip it and upload to /wp-content/plugins/
- Open WordPress admin – Plugins and click “Activate” next to “WP Htaccess Editor”
- Open plugin’s admin page located under the Settings menu
I’ve killed my site! Help!?
Nothing is lost or deleted. You can easily get your site back.
You’re probably getting an error 500 or a white screen (of death). First connect to your site via FTP and locate the .htaccess file. Delete it, or rename it. Try the site again – it should open. If it did locate the backup of the old, working .htaccess file in
/wp-content/htaccess-editor-backups/copy the file to your site’s root folder and you’re back in business.
I get an error saying the .htaccess file can’t be edited or created
Sorry, we can’t change the file access privileges set by your server. You’ll have to edit the file via FTP.
Head over to our support forums. We’ll gladly assist you.
How do I get support?
Head over to our support forums. We’ll gladly help you.
Do you support WP-CLI?
Not yet, but we plan to.
Συνεισφέροντες & Προγραμματιστές
“Htaccess File Editor – Safely Edit Htaccess File” είναι λογισμικό ανοιχτού κώδικα. Οι παρακάτω έχουν συνεισφέρει στη δημιουργία του.Συντελεστές
Το “Htaccess File Editor – Safely Edit Htaccess File” έχει μεταφραστεί σε 2 γλώσσες. Ευχαριστούμε τους μεταφραστές για τις συνεισφορές τους.
Ενδιαφέρεστε για την ανάπτυξη;
- Minor security fixes
- PHP 8 fixes
- added flyout menu
- minor bug fixes
- fixed a few bugs
- new feature: test htaccess file for syntax errors before saving
- new feature: htaccess backup
- 50,000 installations hit on 2019-08-10
- fixed a few bugs
- new: editor size is persistent; saved in localStorage
- menu item moved from Tools to Settings
- full WordPress Network (WPMU) compatibility
- added code editor resize feature
- fixed a few bugs
- 40k installations hit on 2019-01-09 with 172,000 downloads
- WebFactory took over development
- complete plugin rewrite
- 30,000 installations; 162,200 downloads
- Added Spanish translation (Thanks to Andrew Kurtis from WebHostingHub.com)
- Updated design
- Updated info links
- Improved code
- Improved design
- Improved security
- Removed debug panel
- Updated translations
- Updated links
- Updated screenshots
- Adding plugin logo
- Fixed CHMOD
- Adding Czech and English language
- Adding debug panel
- Added information about the author and translators
- Fixed vulnerability
- Fixed bug loading translations files
- Optimized for minimum memory requirements
- Small code modifications
- Adding button for create .htaccess file if not exists
- Fixed bug in the permissions to view the plugin
- Optimized for smaller memory requirements
- First stable version
- Adding to WordPress repository